Thursday, June 23, 2011

Eggplant, What?


Aren't these lovely? I think they're a little too neglected, probably because people don't really know how to use them properly (like me!) For a long time, my only real association with eggplant was remembering my mother being on Weight Watcher's and fixing eggplant in some tomato sauce. I'm pretty certain I tasted it and didn't care for it much, and I don't think I had any again until well into adulthood. Then my biggest connection with it was Eggplant Parmesan, which I love.

My husband chose a recipe from Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine, a book by Gabriel Cousens (a man I happen to admire quite a lot.) The recipe was for a raw Eggplant Casserole, and it was a "I'm thinking ahead" kind of thing. Thankfully I was thinking ahead this morning when I asked Aubrey to slice up the eggplants and soak them in salt water all day long (the recipe suggests 8 hours). Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking enough ahead to give it the 1 to 2 hours in the dehydrator, and then I didn't appear to have my thinking cap on when it came to turning on the oven because I set it and walked away without pushing "start" - who needs start anyway?!! I don't.

So, I chose to cook it rather than go the raw foods route, and because I had missed that blasted start button, I turned the oven up to 400 degrees and cooked it for about 15 minutes. Worked fine, but I really do prefer doing it raw and keeping all of those lovely enzymes intact. Maybe next time?

Anyway, we had this easy Eggplant Casserole with a lovely green salad made by Bob (I can't always call her Aubrey because Bob is what comes out when I open my mouth to say her name.) Give it a try, whether raw in your dehydrator, or cooked in the oven.

Eggplant Casserole

3 small eggplants
2 t. Celtic salt


Sauce
1/2 c. olive oil
2 T. fresh thyme, minced
1/2 t. Celtic salt


Garnish
1/2 C. sun-dried tomatoes, soaked and diced
1/2 C. parsley, finely chopped


Peel and slice eggplant into 1/2" rounds and cover with water. Add salt and soak for 8 hours. Drain and combine with sauce and massage the eggplant 3 to 5 minutes. Spread the mixture on a dehydrator tray with a Teflex sheet and dehydrate at 145 degrees for 1 to 2 hours. Combine in a mixing bowl with sun-dried tomatoes and parsley and mix well. Serve warm. Serves 4 - 6.

My notes:
Our eggplants were sliced a little thinner, which I liked, and it cooked faster
We use Real Salt, and like it a lot.
I found some fresh thyme growing about 12 - 15 feet from the pot I grew it in last year. There it was, snuggled up next to the rose bush. And it gives a lovely flavor, so use the fresh herb!
I saw someone say on a raw foods forum that they made this recipe with olives. Oh, yum! Wish I'd seen that before we made it. Next time, for sure!


Don't be shy about trying eggplant. It doesn't have a whole lot of flavor, so it takes on whatever flavors you surround it in. The texture is a little spongy, but it's good. Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...