Sunday, June 26, 2011

Vegan Quinoa Pancakes

I'm always looking for ways to make something familiar with healthier ingredients. And due to the fact that my husband isn't eating most grains, including, wheat, I'm always looking for alternatives to try. This morning I made a batch of these. They aren't as light and fluffy as a lot of pancakes, but they're pretty decent. I also didn't have enough quinoa flour, so I ground my own out of some quinoa flakes. It seemed a little heavier than what we'd purchased at the health food store. I'm going to do a little more experimenting, but for now, this was pretty good.

Quinoa Flour Pancakes (Vegan substitutions below)


1 1/2 cups of quinoa flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, 2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups milk
1 TB Earth Balance Buttery Spread (melted)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup of ground flax seed

Just mix all the ingredients together. I actually increased the flour because when I first poured it on the griddle….ummm….way too thin!

My substitutions

I added a little more baking powder
I used soaked flax seeds in place of the eggs
I used rice milk
I replaced the buttery spread with coconut oil
I added a little vanilla and cinnamon to the batter

Put everything in a blender and whirl away!  I had to add extra water because it got very, very thick due to the flax seeds. Pour 1/4 c. batter onto griddle or into non-stick or oiled pan. 

I served them with a little plain soy yogurt with vanilla and stevia added to it and some blueberry sauce made out of frozen blueberries and tapioca flour. Colorful and pretty good

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...