Sunday, June 19, 2011

Your Fork As Your Shovel

From the time I was a teen, I always had an interest in nutrition. I was fascinated when I took a nutrition class in college and we had to analyze the food we were eating to discover what nutrients were in every single thing we ate for a week. Some thought of it as being tedious, but for some odd reason I liked looking through all of the charts and seeing how much niacin was in a certain food, or how much vitamin C an orange had. It was a toss-up between majoring in nutrition or becoming a veterinarian. In the end, it was neither. I still am fascinated with nutrition (even more so than ever) and I have never lost my love for animals, but I figured out a long time ago that I couldn't handle seeing an animal in pain, so vet school was completely out of the question.

I have realized for quite a long time that nutrition has everything to do with health, and that every thing you put in your mouth will either work toward keeping you healthy or  it will tear down and support you in the development of disease. I read once that Americans are digging their graves with their forks. Unfortunately that is too true, and I want to leave my grave digging to the official cemetery folks. I am currently enrolled as a student at The School of Natural Healing, and one of the areas we learn a lot about is nutrition. Thank heaven! The more I learn, the more empowered I feel.

I have lots more of my story to share (and how it relates to good nutrition), and it'll come out here and there. Our family has a story, too, and that is why I'm in the position of being really vigilant about our diet these days. I only wish I had done it all along out of choice rather than being compelled, as I am now. But either way, I'm glad to be eating super healthy. That is a blessing.

I'll be sharing recipes that our family likes; we're trying new ones nearly every day. Hopefully they will be categorized in a way that will make them easy to find according to the type of food you're looking for. But really, this is just our family's own recipe book that makes it easy to have them at our fingertips without all the fuss of pulling out books and thumbing through pages. We're lazy like that.

Come. Eat. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I want to be the first commenter. :-) Please post a yummy recipe. I'll share one too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...